About Me

My photo
A lifelong student of dance, yoga and movement, I have trained extensively in ballet, modern, jazz and hip hop. I hold a MSN as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (family nurse practitioner) and is a certified yoga teacher (CYT-200) through Lotus Gardens Yoga school. I'm dually certified by Fat Chance Belly Dance's American Tribal Style teacher creatrix, Carolena Nericcio,in General Skills and as a certified Teacher in American Tribal Style belly dance,& is a Sister Studio of Fat Chance Belly Dance. Wife to wonderful a hubby, mommy to Ari, and our German Shepherd Meka and tortie-cat, FootFoot. www.celadontribal.com www.joysyoga.com

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Kriyas at 5am


Two days in a row, I've had waking & rising times at 5 am (as instituted by my infant son, Ari). As de rigeur, I started off with a cup of coffee, and tuned into pandora.com on the laptop to check emails, etc. I started a Snatam Kaur Khalsa station to listen to. Bhakti yoga is the yoga of devotion and chanting, and Snatam aligns with the Kundalini practice of chanting so divinely--her voice is so angelic, and is one of my favorite kirtan-ista's. Taken with the fresh snowfall and twinkling star & moonlight shining above our humble abode, I aligned with the Adi mantra; Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo, which translates to ""I call upon Divine Wisdom". I have recently had a lot on my metaphysical plate, so to speak, of the What Color is Your Parachute variety, so when this chant came on the station I listened, and sang along. I was inspired to look into some kriyas and found this on the web: http://www.pinklotus.org/-%20KY%20Kriya%20for%20fifteen%20minutes%20in%20the%20morning.htm

I was invigorated! Kappalabati breath is a tried and true pranayama for firing up and energizing, so coupled with these kriyas (Kriya (in Sanskrit "action, deed, effort") most commonly refers to a "completed action", technique or practice within a yoga discipline meant to achieve a specific result. Types of kriya may vary widely between different schools of yoga. .. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriya ) I had energy, attention and vigor through the entire day. Pretty tall order for a new mommy who gets two 3 hour spans of sleep throughput the night and requires a nap daily. On my 1st day back to work, I had a similar day, and didn't have time to nap, and I was still feelin' the Kundalini love. Rockin' good findings. Sign me up, Shakti!

No comments:

Post a Comment